“Great Fire” Week 36 Fourth Grade
The Great Fire (Non-fiction, Level 14, Stage 3) by Marie Gibson
And just like that fourth grade is finished, and we’ve had so much fun this week celebrating the end of a magnificent school year and the start to an adventurous summer! And Great Fire was a wonderful book to close out our AlphaSkills for the year too.
The activity I want to highlight this week is the Reading Benchmark. For this activity first I followed along and scored his reading accuracy on part of the book. Then I asked him the following comprehension questions:
- What does the term “Chapter One” at the top of page 2 mean?
- Where is the setting of this book?
- Was 1666 a year of happiness for the people in London?
- Why was 1666 not a year of happiness for the people in London?
- After scoring these answers with the ones provided on the lesson plan, I returned the score to the folks at AlphaSkills so that they could assess whether Elijah was ready to move into the next level. (I could see from the rubric provided whether or not he needed some additional support for this level, but sending in the test gives the folks at AlphaSkills what they need to know to send me the books on the appropriate level.)
For more information about the AlphaSkills Read with Sarah curriculum and our family, see the AlphaSkills Blog Introduction.